Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Travel with Albion - Thoughts from the First Mate

Shirley's thoughts and reflections.  More on or around the 29th when we return to finish our Great Lakes Circumnavigation.  Paul..
 
**************
We flew out of Thunder Bay early Saturday morning.  Back home now in Pittsburgh sweating for the first time in almost 2 weeks.  We were fortunate that the timing of things for us went like clockwork.  After we crossed from Isle Royale to Thunder Bay on Thursday, the weather picked up.  There have been small craft warnings, gale warnings and wave heights of 7-10 feet!  We could still be sitting at Rock Harbor, Isle Royale, waiting for the seas to calm.  
 
The 5th and final Great Lake.  Hard to believe.  Each trip has been unique.  On this trip I had the opportunity to be at sea more days than ever before.  The weather was generally sunny, but cool, even cold sometimes.  While Paul was planning this trip, Lake Superior seemed to be the most intimidating due to its size.  In reality, I found it intimidating because of the cold water temperatures, 39 degrees!  The hugeness of the lake becomes an advantage for wave height because it takes longer for big waves to build due to the depth of the lake.  I get more comfortable sailing with each trip but I still get nervous with rough seas and the unpredictability of things.  When Paul started on this mission to circumnavigate the lakes, I thought it was pretty crazy.  Now that he is nearing completion of his goal, I can't help but admire him for what he has accomplished and learned in the process.  Being totally honest, there is a small part of me that would enjoy doing the rest of Superior.  But then I look at those gale warnings, etc. and think again.  I will be happy to be at home reading Paul's blog.  The question is, what will Paul think of next?!?!  Here are a few fun facts from our trip:
 
0    Number of days I wore my bathing suit
      Days it rained while at sea
 
1    Days sailing in the fog
      Nights anchored out
 
2    Days without a shower
 
3    Treacherous sailing days (waves, wind)
 
4    Days I wore a stocking cap
      Nights we ate out
 
5    Days without cell phone service
      Number of minutes for a shower token at Isle Royale
 
6    Cost of  the shower token - $6
      Number of blue sky sunshine days
 
7    Number of days showers were available
 
8    Number of days I wore fleece
      Felt like 8 season changes
 
9    Number of consecutive days sailed
 
10    Rating I'll give to Captain Paul; he's the Best
 
685    Highest number I saw on our depth gauge